Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

Marketplace Business Directory Discussion Forums Spec-Checker Industry News Events Calendar Jobs & Resumes Photo Galleries
Marketplace
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Home
My profile
Search
Spec-Checker
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries

Ads

Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
Search  
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Forum: Industry Perspectives
Discussion:  Hazards, Incidents and Accidents
Number of messages: 11

START MESSAGE:
Admin
Queensland, Australia
• What are the costs of losses caused by incidents, accidents and accidental damage? How big is the human cost? What is the workplace physical and financial cost? How many people are killed annually? How many are maimed for life? How much production downtime is lost? What is the product loss? What is the bottom line financially?
I am sure our readers will be interested in your experiences!

-------------------------
Contact me about any forum administration issues.

Modified 2 Feb 2017 01:30 PM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message
REPLIES: Sort replies by
Maton
Michigan, United States
The official OSHA website www.osha.gov gives figures up to 2015 for USA at https://stats.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0014.pdf
I cant see any forklift type figures so can someone lead us to anything that has a breakdown that is Forklift related ?

Modified 11 Feb 2017 09:53 AM
by administrator.
Hunter
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
Some regional governments such as British Columbia's Safety Council may have local stats. Perhaps someone could canvas possible sources of information and come up with averages. Maybe most Western countries already have statistics as suggested by Maton.

Posted 2 Feb 2017 11:17 PM Reply  Report this message
graham_h
Fife, United Kingdom
There was an interesting article by the AITT in the latest SHD Logistics magazine - See here to read it all.

A couple of stats/quotes that jumped out at me were:

"Forklift damage is another large contributor to unnecessary costs. It is estimated that truck damage can add as much as 5% to the cost of a standard lease. Across a fleet of trucks you're looking at many thousands of pounds of largely unnecessary costs per year."

"One major supermarket chain spends £3m each year on replacing damaged racking alone. Even a modest improvement to their operationwould amount to significant savings".

As a company that provides tagging and checklist systems to help reduce these risks we receive consistant feedback from customers advising us that their small investment has given them significant savings by spotting faults before they develop into something more serious. It's pretty evident that prevention is the key.

According to the HSE approximately 2,000 accidents and 10 fatalities are reported each year as a result of forklift operation in the United Kingdom. That's around 40 major injuries each week.

Follow me on Twitter @goodtogosafety

Modified 11 Feb 2017 09:52 AM
by administrator.
graham_h
Fife, United Kingdom
This incident also springs to mind as a 'worst case' scenario. We're still waiting for the official report but I suspect that a forklift collision would be the main contributory factor? If you consider the effects of an incident like this then the costs of an accident will be significant - in this case it will relate not only to forklift costs but stock, replacement racking, the cost to rent new premises during repairs, the knock on costs  on reputation, delayed deliveries, loss of business etc. Something like this would be enough to tip a lot of SMEs over the edge and out of business. link to the article

Follow me on Twitter @goodtogosafety

Modified 11 Feb 2017 09:55 AM
by administrator.
bwsisi
Pennsylvania, United States
What I have is from 2011 and it is cost based on unintentional injuries at work. It is $188.9 billion dollars in the US only. This does not include the product that is lost. This only includes lost dollars in wage and productivity, medical expenses,administrative expenses,employers uninsured cost,motor vehicle, and fire loss's. These do not include product and warehouse damages which I'm sure would add much more to the final number. A small incident in the warehouse goes a long way further then just that, there are administrative,missed orders and a whole line of issues that will cost your company in the end. ( some data gathered from the National Safety Council report 2011)

Posted 3 Feb 2017 05:41 AM Reply  Report this message
EasiTek
Ontario, Canada

After 10 years of working in distribution centers, I've witnessed first hand the extensive damage to racking. Corners get pounded over and over until the whole rack gets unstable. Many trucks were scrapped after repeated collisions, bending and twisting frames, or metal supports cracking. Most injuries were from ride on pallet trucks. saw a few people crush their ankles, hands or fingers. I know 2 driver's who are disabled for life from a transport driver suddenly pulling away from dock while they were unloading trailer. Counterbalanced truck drove straight out the open trailer onto the ground. Both drivers had permanent brain damage.
To cut damage costs, some customers are installing AVG's. Robotic forklift with no driver, no collisions, no sick time, no smoke breaks.
No job for a driver either!

Posted 6 Feb 2017 00:55 AM Reply  Report this message
roadrunner
aragua, Venezuela
As a forklift safety instructor, I thought I was wasting my time, but recently a Forklift operator who attended my course Had a rollover and They said he had done what his instructor told him "not to jump and grab the steering wheel" He survived and that already makes me feel that I did my job well

Safety First

Posted 8 Feb 2017 07:06 AM Reply  Report this message
TerryW
Florida, United States
The following excerpts are from a magazine article I read many years ago but the financial thinking still applies today.  Keeping people safe, reducing accidents, reducing damage, reducing downtime, reducing accidents obviously will save any company money. You will not get any argument from management, unions or employees about this.   However, additional investments in safety must be justified like any investment that a company makes be it production machinery, facility improvements, material handling equipment, office equipment, etc. So safety managers must win support for the financial investment in a safety program and must provide management tangible proof of the economic gains the company accrues when it invests in safety equipment and programs.    This can be done with very simple formulas. These are probably the same formulas that we use in our company today to assist our customers with figures that will be suitable to present to their board for decision. Click here for our formula. I hope this helps.
TerryW

Creating a culture of safety

Modified 13 Feb 2017 10:31 PM
by administrator.
charlie_j
California, United States
Good job roadrunner! You may have saved a life which is worth all the disappointments

Take time to do the job right the first time, or you will have to make time to do the job over

Posted 17 Feb 2017 03:34 PM Reply  Report this message
Hunter
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
A View To a Kill
I have just spent two hours going through forklift safety videos by manufacturers and safety training companies. Every video is full of mistakes and the volume of incorrect information is simply stunning.
Why would an operator training company post a video with incorrect information or scenes? The answer is simple; the person or persons posting the video believe the video is correct. Ignorance is bliss they say. I suggest that every person or company with a forklift video go back and delete their video. The owner of a machinery and equipment training school was killed while filming a forklift safety video. He was thrown from the forklift and crushed. The investigation revealed the fatality was due to driver error, high speed over rough terrain, and an unused seat belt.

I suspect there will be a lot of howls and push back to my suggestion because our nature is to deflect criticism. Many or even most will likely engage in an ad-hominem  attack (an argument or reaction directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining)

Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body; it calls attention to the development of an unhealthy state of things. A rose by any other name stinks just the same.

Forkliftaction has taken the brave step of encouraging long overdue discussion of Forklift safety. Brave? Yes brave because most if not all blogs are either trite or incorrect, except mine of course. Also many of the safety videos are by Forkliftaction customers. Overdue? All the talk and all the safety training appears to have had minimal positive effect.

All the following numbers are approximate and are only used to obtain perspective and to illustrate my personal viewpoints. In 1985 there were approximately 35000 forklift accidents every year, recent numbers are similar.  OSHA examined some of the accidents to determine the causes attributable to the use of powered industrial trucks. Many of the accidents could have been caused by improper training. Studies show that BETTER training reduces operator errors, currently, 1 out of 6 workplace fatalities are forklift related.

Search for top-10-forklift-accidents for an interesting page of statistics. It shows fatalities are not much different than they were in 1992 but we have many more forklifts now than before so maybe that’s a good thing.

We need some method of realistic information gathering as well as an internationally recognized testing program for trainers. Suggestions as to how we can clean up the training disarray are welcome. Disarray - a state of disorganization.

Posted 22 Feb 2017 01:06 AM Reply  Report this message

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.
Ads

GLOSSARY
Click for description.

FORUM
DISCUSSION
SIGNATURE

FORUMS
©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia