Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

Marketplace Business Directory Discussion Forums Spec-Checker Industry News Events Calendar Jobs & Resumes Photo Galleries
Marketplace
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Home
My profile
Search
Spec-Checker
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries

Ads

Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
Search  
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Forum: Safety, training & legislation
Discussion:  Changing steering on Stand up
Number of messages: 6

START MESSAGE:
rickyc
Connecticut, United States
Was wondering if there are any laws in CT that makes it illegal to change the steering on a Stand up forklift ?

Meaning, the correct way to turn right is to turn the wheel to the right.

Steering has been reversed so you need to turn the wheel to the left to go right and turn right to go left.

Is  this insane or what ??

Thanks,

Rick

Posted 3 May 2012 09:46 AM Reply  Report this message
REPLIES: Sort replies by
MEngr
Missouri, United States
Hi ricky;
Reverse steer on stand - up vehicles is allowed if one has written approval from the equipment manufacturer, the vehicle has all of the proper safety decals and it is done in accordance to the vehicle manufacturer's engineering specifications. Most of the stand - ups in the market today offer this feature in their programable menus.

Posted 3 May 2012 12:04 AM Reply  Report this message
mrfixit
New York, United States
Just to clarify, it has reverse steering now and you want to make it standard? What model is it?

Posted 3 May 2012 08:39 PM Reply  Report this message
Jplayer
North Carolina, United States

By default the steering on a standup lift be it a reach truck or stacker, etc... it is designed for the load to be carried trailing the operator(behind you) for obvious safety reasons because of visibility while driving. But yes there are options available to change the steer rotation to (reverse) the steering. This can be done by a qualified technitian from the mfg's dealer in your area.

As MEngr said, it could be done via the software menu but depending on the model and year of the machine in question it could be different and require a hardware change of some sort. Without any make, model or serial number it is impossible to give you the right information.

But as for any laws in CT? probably not, the safety standards are not governed by state, they are federally mandated.

-------------------------
John Player Jr

Modified 3 May 2012 08:43 PM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message
Budman
Alabama, United States

Actually on most brands of stand-up lifts, it depends on how the salesman specs & orders the lifts. If in your application you'll be predominantly running in reverse, you'll want it to steer one way. If forward, the other. On most lifts, this can be easily changed by swapping the lines going to the steering gearbox. I had one company that ordered 20 reach trucks w/ reverse steering & 20 rider counterbalanced with forward steering. Operators would be running both lifts. I ask them if they were crazy, they were going to get someone killed. Once I explained it to them, they said their Dealer National Account Salesman talked them into doing it that way. They paid my company to put the steering in the same direction on all lifts.

Posted 11 May 2012 05:15 AM Reply  Report this message
Forkingabout
england, United Kingdom
I know on the BT RRE Reflex reach truck ( & the Toyota / Cesab clone versions of it ) you can set the steering to go the opposite way to the steering wheel, its in the factory parameters & you can only change it with BT Truck Com software.

Ive no idea why BT even bothered to put the ability to do it in the software but its there.

Parameter 1102 - Inverted steering for JAPAN only!

Posted 11 May 2012 07:10 AM Reply  Report this message

Ads

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.
Ads

GLOSSARY
Click for description.

FORUM
DISCUSSION
SIGNATURE

FORUMS
©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia